Monday, May 31, 2010

Brunswick, Shostakovich... Griffiths?


I am getting more and more wrapped up in this Caroline and George scenario. I am coming up with lots of sounds that are so foreign to me but I'm incredibly excited by them. I started writing a duet today for the characters of Maria Fitzherbert and Signor Pergami. I also started working on some sort of Overture (or just some piece that could be chock full of themes that could go into the show).

There are two shows I want to write at the moment. One of them is a fictional story inspired by the events that happened with Mike Melvill in 2004, regarding the first commercial space aircraft. This story requires much detail that I will happily go into another time. The other, and currently more involving is an "opera-esque" piece that is just as farcical as it is tragic, and it's the story of Queen Caroline of Brunswick and King George IV. I don't know why, but I am so endlessly fascinated by these two people and the incredibly disturbing (not to mention hilarious) relationship they shared together. And it ties in so fascinatingly well with the idea of marriage in the 21st century, and how absurd it is treated or at least discussed. I want this show to be about the ultimate war between husband and wife. I keep looking into angry marching music as source material. My knowledge of classical music is extremely limited, but I recently learned about Shostakovich and his 5th and 13th symphonies, and that is some pissed off music. And so much fun to listen to!

------

In other news,


I watched an episode of my favorite t.v. show last night with a wonderful friend. It was episode 9, season 1 of "Six Feet Under" I've never been and probably never will be (at least for a while) as invested into a world of characters like I am with this show. It's such a strange show, and beautiful, and really friggin' funny. And Rachel Griffiths should always be a source of inspiration for actors.



-----

This summer so far is very weird. But never boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment