Thursday, December 2, 2010

Don't Ask Don't Tell

As I type this, I am watching the hearings regarding "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and it truly is fascinating to watch how these court hearings are handled and conducted.

In most controversial topics I find a sympathy and understanding for both sides, however for this particular issue I simply cannot wrap my brain around the reasonings for keeping the legislation intact.

If you're at all interested, here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/40470615#40470615

This truly feels like one of the most backward laws in our nations federal legislate. And it's endlessly intriguing to see how an issue (which is not entirely black and white, but one of the most 'black-and-white' cases I've ever seen) is presented in a politically correct manner.

Just too interesting.

3 comments:

  1. I honestly don't know much about it. Of course, I also don't think women should really be in the military, so I'm already a bit of an outcast. But my primary concern would be for the safety of all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I do not criticize him in a general aspect, I can't help but find Senator McCain's remarks at the hearing absolutely absurd. He was primarily using a study that said 27% of the current serving military that were surveyed (keywords: that were surveyed) said they would leave the military if homosexual men and women were allowed to openly serve in the military.

    However, that same number (approximately) was used both in the forties in regards to segregation and even EARLIER with women serving. And in both instances, that never happened.

    If the same number was used TODAY when asked if blacks should serve in the military, would we ban african-americans because of racism? It's absurd. And the language being used at the hearings were entirely dancing around the fact that the reason "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" exists is primarily out of discrimination towards gay and lesbian recruits.

    I guess I'm so fascinated by this issue because it's the FIRST controversy I can think of that does not have a grey or sympathetic angle. It's just morally and ethically wrong to ban people from serving our country because of sexual orientation.

    And frankly, if the kind of people defending my country are people who are hateful towards others and refuse to work with people who are morally god people and just different than them, I don't want them defending me and this nation after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And forgive the typos, ha. It's late. And a helicopter just flew over my building.

    ReplyDelete