Sunday, June 13, 2010

And the tony goes to... um... that guy?

Don't get me wrong. I love the Tony Awards. I tend to complain about them with a grain of salt. Award shows inherently have their undesirable and artificial traits. They also have their emotionally invested and riveting aspects. But I have never been less passionate about a Tony ceremony, and this is true for a few reasons.

1. I can easily list the FOUR shows I saw on Broadway this year (I guess I've been busy? I wish I knew why this was the case.) But the only shows I saw were "Finian's Rainbow", "La Cage Aux Folles", "Memphis", and "American Idiot".

2. I think the roster of new musicals is incredibly unexciting. Fela sounds cool (which I'm seeing with a class on Wednesday). But other than that, I'm not excited. Nothing to say about the shows as much as it does say about me. I haven't seen Little Night Music or Ragtime (STILL makes me upset!) But I'm not that passionate about any of the shows, really.

I wish I knew exactly why. Maybe it's the lack of original scores (But I think that American Idiot is the best show I've seen on Broadway... out of the four.) Maybe it's the lack of original stories (But Memphis is an "Original" musical, isn't it?)

I don't know. It should still be a fun event.

Maybe next year there will be an abundance of new works that will be recognized. Maybe I'll write one of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment